How to Buy a Fancy Food Dish for a Cat
- 1). Look at the wide range of materials of which bowls are made. They are typically plastic, ceramic, stainless steel or stoneware.
- 2). Remember that bowls come in all colors, shapes and sizes. Select one that appeals to your taste and personality. For instance, you might find one in the shape of a mouse, or with paw prints all over it.
- 3). Make sure the bowl you select is dishwasher-safe.
- 4). Check to be sure a ceramic bowl meets FDA guidelines so your cat won't ingest unsafe levels of lead.
- 5). Decide if you want to purchase two separate bowls - one for food and one for water - or if you would prefer to get a set that is connected.
- 6). Look for a sturdy dish that won't be easily knocked over and broken if your cat is very playful.
- 7). Realize that a no-skid bowl is another important option for keeping the bowl in place for a frisky eater.
- 8). Look for a cork bottom if you are worried about protecting your floor.
- 9). Understand that most standard bowls cost less than $10.
Consider purchasing a more expensive thermal or heated bowl which is designed to keep your cat's water from freezing in the winter if you leave it outdoors. This costs between $30 and $40.