Insurance Auto Insurance & Registration

How to Get Insurance to Pay for Stolen Vehicle Damage in Florida

    • 1). Double-check your policy at the time of purchase, during policy changes and with each renewal to ensure that comprehensive coverage remains in-force on your policy, as selected. Consider adding comprehensive coverage to the policy if the vehicle has a high replacement value, the vehicle is leased or financed or you are financially unable to replace the vehicle or fix its damages without notice.

    • 2). Contact the Florida police department and file a theft report as soon as you find your vehicle has been stolen or damaged. Include accurate details of your vehicle, including the vehicle identification number, license plate number and vehicle color to assist the police in searching for your vehicle.

    • 3). Contact your insurance carrier's claims department immediately. Report the vehicle theft to your carrier. Be sure to provide the carrier with the police report number, as this is required for claims processing.

    • 4). Provide the insurance carrier with the police's findings, if and when the vehicle is located. Do not assume that your carrier has the most up-to-date information about the vehicle's findings and damages, even though the claims adjuster will, at times, speak directly to the investigating officer. Keep in contact with the claims adjuster and the police department, and provide each representative with thorough and prompt responses when information is requested.

    • 5). Visit the vehicle with the claims adjuster, when the vehicle is located, to review the adjuster's findings of the vehicle's damages. Ask questions of the adjuster, as needed, to ensure that you understand the aspects about your comprehensive claims.

    • 6). Be prepared to pay the comprehensive coverage deductible once the vehicle's repairs are completed. Speak with the adjuster to determine how to endorse your check or money order. Expect the insurance carrier to waive the deductible if the vehicle only has windshield or window damage, since Florida statues prohibit a comprehensive deductible for windshield claims.

    • 7). Speak with a representative from the Florida Department of Financial Services, or an attorney, if you believe that your comprehensive claim has been erroneously denied. Have your policy information number and claims number handy before you call, as this information will be requested. Allow the department 20 business days to respond to your concerns.

Leave a reply